Health and Wellbeing

A critical incident is ‘a traumatic event, or the threat of such (within or outside Australia), which causes extreme stress, fear or injury’

CRICOS registered Colleges must have a documented critical incident policy together with procedures that cover the action to be taken in the event of a critical incident, required follow-up to the incident,and records of the incident and action taken.
Critical incidents are not limited to, but could include:

  • missing students;
  • severe verbal or psychological aggression;
  • death, serious injury or any threat of these;
  • natural disaster; and
  • issues such as domestic violence, sexual assault, drug or alcohol abuse.

When an international student dies or sustains serious injury, the college may be required to assist the student's family. This may include:

  • hiring interpreters
  • making arrangements for hospital/funeral/memorial service/repatriation obtaining a death certificate
  • assisting with personal items and affairs including insurance issues
  • assisting with visa issues

Please consult the college’s Critical Incident Policy, which is displayed on notice boards for full details or ask the Library/Reception staff for assistance.

Health Care

In an emergency, regardless of your level of English, you should call Triple Zero (000), or 112 from a mobile phone.
The nearest Public Health Emergency Departments are situated at

Austin & Repatriation Hospitals

The Northern Hospital

John Fawkner Private Hospital

145 Studley Rd. Heidelberg

185 Cooper Street, Epping

Moreland Rd, Moreland

If you need emergency treatment you will need to show your Overseas Student Health Cover insurance card.

Health Insurance for International Students

International students studying in Australia are required to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of their student visa. It provides a safety net for international students similar to that provided to Australian citizens through Medicare, Australia’s national health insurance system.

When visiting a doctor in Victoria, check if the medical clinic has an agreement with your Overseas Student Health Care Cover. If they do have an agreement, your payment will be considerably less or NIL if they Bulk-Bill.

OSHC covers most medical expenses and the cost of hospital care in Victoria, as well as most prescription drugs and emergency ambulance transport, although it doesn’t cover pre-existing conditions, such as pregnancy. Dental, optical and physiotherapy are not covered.

ALACC has brochures available explaining OSHC in more depth, else, please click here for more information.

If your course of study is for less than three months or you are travelling to Australia under a visa other than a student visa, you will not be eligible for OSHC. Travel insurance is recommended in this case.

The Australian Department of Health and Aged Care have advised that students from Sweden and Norway do not require OSHC as these countries have national health schemes which provide adequate health cover.

Finding a Doctor

Doctors who offer everyday medical care are known as General Practitioners (GPs). You can attend any medical clinic, provided it is taking new patients. Some clinics will require you to phone ahead to make an appointment; others allow you to simply come in. You don’t need to be registered with any particular clinic, or live in a particular area.

These clinics often bulk-bill Australian residents and students with overseas health cover, which means you don’t pay a fee when you attend.
Melbourne has a number of 24-hour medical clinics. It’s a good idea to familiarise yourself with the one closest to you.

To see a specialist, you will need a referral letter from your GP.


In an emergency, regardless of your level of English, you should call Triple Zero (000), or 112 from a mobile phone.

An interpreter service is available. It will help the call-taker if you can state in English, which language you need.
You will get an automated response asking you to select “fire”, “police” or ambulance”.

For a complete list of both public and private hospitals in metropolitan Melbourne, visit the Victorian Government Health Information Website.

Nurse on Call

If you’re not sure whether you need emergency treatment, try the Victorian Government’s Nurse on Call phone service, on 1300 60 60 24.

This free service is staffed by trained nurses who can advise you on the best course of action to take.

Mother and Child

The Maternal and Child Health Service is a free national service available to families with children from ages 0 to 5. Your local council will be able to tell you where your nearest centre is. Services include immunisation, and assessment and advice on feeding, development, eyesight and hearing.

For the cost of a local phone call, you can also contact the Maternal and Child Health line, a 24-hour telephone service staffed by maternal and child health nurses. Call 132229.

Most daycare centre’s, kindergartens and schools will require your child to be vaccinated against a range of diseases. Check with your local GP or council. Most councils offer a free vaccination service.

Mental Health

If you are suffering from depression or anxiety, don’t keep it to yourself or feel you have to battle with your problems alone. Confidential, expert help is available. Talking to someone can offer not just relief, but also practical advice.

If you or someone you know is talking about suicide, do not ignore it or dismiss it as attention-seeking. Encourage them to talk to someone, and seek help. With the right help, many mental health problems can be overcome.

Beyondblue information line (national depression initiative)


Suicide Helpline Victoria

Kids Help Line (free call)


1300 224 636
131 114
1300 651 251
1800 551 800
1300 789 978

Sexual Health

A sexual health centre for people up to the age of 24

Address: Level 1, 94 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne
Phone: (03) 9654 4766
Freecall: 1800 013 952

Opening hours: 10am - 6pm Monday to Friday Melbourne Sexual Health Centre.

Services include: health services; immunization; pregnancy testing; counseling; pharmacy; needle exchange and drug services.

Address: 1st Floor, 580 Swanston Street, Carlton
Phone: (03) 9347 0244

    Was this page helpful?

    Please leave your details, if you'd like us to get back to you.